My photo
Northfield, MN
This blog will seek to share the adventures, cultural miscalculations, and eccentric musings of one Luke Benoit, a golf coach from Northfield, Minnesota as he works for the BYGA (Bhutan Youth Golf Association).

ABOUT THE BYGA

To learn more about the BYGA, its mission, and history, check out... golfbhutan.com

Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Home

The apartment I've been provided here in Thimphu is actually nicer than my place back home. While fantastic from an ease of life standpoint, I can't seem to wonder if this is a little bit more than I need. It is about 1000 sq. ft. with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, and an open dining room/living room complete with TV, internet, and leather furniture. It actually reminds me of being at a fancy cabin. The view from here is spectacular and I have 3 decks (all facing different directions) to enjoy it from. Since I am still not feeling the best I decided to take a day to get used to my home and my appliances. I have thus far mastered the hot water heater, the rice maker, and the water boiler (so that you don't need to buy bottled water). I also picked up a few tiny eggs from the store. So small, I almost wonder if they came from chickens, though these are probably what nature intended chicken eggs to really look like. The weather here is very nice so far. Every day seems to be somewhat similar. Clear cold nights followed by warmish (60-70F) days. The air is thin at 8,000 feet so the sun is strong even though we are close to winter. Most people wear long sleeves even during the middle of the day. The Bhutanese are masters of layered dressing, a key for survival during days of 30 degree temperature swings. I have also generally mastered the downtown area. Last night I took a cab to meet the American golf course superintendent and his wife. My cab driver didn't speak a lick of English so we simply drove. Since I barely knew where I was going I kept shouting "center square" to which he oscillated his head and hummed in acknowledgment. Eventually we found it and I gave the man 2 coins, to which he chuckled and handed them back. I examined the coins to find they were Thai Bhat, rather than Bhutanese Nultrums. Problem solved, I went to dinner with my new friends.

Whenever you think you've got a tough job, consider this guy, and note that his monthly salary is about $120, a handsome wage here (the article is from Kuensel, the best news source in Bhutan)... http://www.bhutan.org/philately/runner-article.htmk

3 comments:

  1. Hi Luke!

    Sorry to hear that you are sick and that I added insult to injury by beating you in the P2PFL. The good news for you is that I won our league when I was overseas and didn't watch any football, so you are destined to win! Get well soon and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blogging, boy. Glad to hear you have a good place to call home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke! This is so amazing, I am thoroughly impressed. Thank you so much for inviting me to this blog, I truly look forward to reading about your adventure. Cheers to you!

    Peace.
    xoxo,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete